Subject: Re: dhclient support.
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/1998 09:34:56
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Andrew Gillham wrote:

> This doesn't seem exactly correctly, since
> netstart is done *before* mounting /var, and dhclient wants to save
> data into /var.

I addresses this problem as well as another with my syslog proposal
in tech-userlevel a few days ago. (I received no reply to it.)

The other half of this is that, with dhclient in netstart, syslogd
is not running, so you don't get a log of exactly what it did on
startup. What you need to do is:

	1. mount /usr and /var
	2. start syslogd with user options and -s option
	3. run netstart and netstart.local
	4. kill syslogd
	5. start syslogd with user options

The idea is you have syslogd running without network support (-s)
until network is up, and then you kill it and start it again with
network support after the network is up.

If nobody running current wants to make these changes, I'll be
happy to make and commit them so long as someone running -current
will test them for me on that platform.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.