Subject: Re: texinfo files
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/25/1998 10:40:33
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: this is better, but doesn't solve the problem for people who get TeX
: some other way.  I don't think the pkg_* stuff should be the only
: sanctioned way to install things.  NetBSD supports emulation of other OS
: environments for the purpose of allowing people to use packages that are
: intended for other platforms, and there are indeed

Then you would install gtexinfo in /usr/local, as if info weren't part of
the main distribution.  It's still not difficult, and zero more difficult
that it already would have been without any parts of texinfo in the base
system.

: > The alternatives aren't all that complex -- and we can't add software that
: > is this nonfunctional in the base system.
:
: ????  I'm not so sure that's a problem in this case -- they'd be
: immediately operational as soon as somone installed Tex.

It doesn't matter:  it's (unwritten) policy not to ship nonfunctional
software with the base; if there are dependencies, either the dependencies
must be in the base, or the given programs are not shipped.