Subject: Re: isp / st problems
To: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
From: Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 09/01/1998 19:11:06
On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> Can you tell me what kind of HP drive this is?
> At any rate- let me know the inquiry info for this drive
> so it can be properly put into a quirk table (it may
> not need to be as the message went away, as you say).

<HP, HP35480A, T503>

The marketing name for this is a "SureStore Tape 5000". It's a DDS-1
drive with DDS-DC data compression.

> On a related note- when you get the EIO error, what kind
> of tape do you have in the drive?

I've tried several - I've got a couple of tapes with dump(8) backups
from my old system on, and a tar tape which I made with a Sun tape drive
at work.

I took the CATS system to bits again and fitted the drive back into the
RiscPC, so that I could check that the drive and tapes were still okay
and I hadn't fried anything moving it from one box to the other - the
tapes still read when I do this.

Regards,

Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology
http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~njh/                     Oxford University, UK