Subject: Re: On wscons, mice, and keyboards
To: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/1998 11:25:45
On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:08:11 +0200 (MET DST)
 Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se> wrote:

 > I think that could work pretty well for mice.  A little complication
 > in the daemon is that it has to watch for new mice being connected
 > (and possibly create new device node if you run out).

Err... that only makes sense for e.g. USB mice.  It makes no sense
for serial mice and for PS/2 mice, etc.  So, what you want is perhaps
a "run this script on this USB event" thing, which is configurable, or
something.  It would then run the appropriate ioctl to redirect the new
mouse's events, etc.

 > I think a harder to do this way are keyboards.  I'm not sure
 > how to persuade X to use a multiplexor for the terminal and
 > get it to work.  But I've not looked into the keyboard issue
 > much yet.

So, what you want here is a similar config file mechanism as XFree86 has
for mice.

Actually, in a perfect world, you want to specify:

	(1) One or more display /dev/... files

	(2) One or more keyboard /dev/... files

	(3) One or more mouse /dev/... files

	(4) How they should be glued together, e.g.:

		glue display0 kbd0 mouse0
		glue display1 kbd2 mouse1

	    ...etc to make different X screens.

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 940 5942