Subject: Re: On wscons, mice, and keyboards
To: None <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Lennart Augustsson <augustss@cs.chalmers.se>
List: current-users
Date: 07/28/1998 14:16:20
> Biggest problem I see with this is, what if ums0 isn't found?  (Perhaps
> the machine doesn't have any uhubs, so ums0 and ums1 can't be found
> because they're parentless.)  Then there's no wsmouse0 for wsmouse1 and
> wsmouse2 to send their events to.  Or can the autoconfig machinery cope
> with that?
My idea was to make sure that wsmouse0 always exists if it is needed,
regardless if the probe found it or not.

> Perhaps the pseudo-device should be brought in automatically by
> configuring the mouse drivers, and the mouse drivers register
> themselves with the generic mouse driver when they're found, so the
> generic driver can provide a list of real mice that were found....
I definitely think the pseudodevice needs to be configured
automatically since mice can come and go while the machine
is running.

> And, nobody seems to have even mentioned the possibility of making it
> possible for devices to have multiple parents.  Why not?  Is it Just
> Too Hard, does it break something else, or what?
I think it would be a lot of work to try and add that.

        -- Lennart