Subject: How to tweak clock rate
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/1998 18:14:30
All of this ``pleasant discussion'' about NTP (on tech-kern) has gotten
me interested in trying to make my clock more accurate. I've got a
386/33 running NetBSD 1.3E, and its clock seems to run way fast. I run
ntpdate each time I connect to my ISP, and it looks like my clock gets
ahead about 3 seconds in 2 hours. Is there anything I can do to fix
this?

I see mention of a "tickadj" program that's supposed to come with the
NTP distribution, but I don't seem to have it. There's also the
kern.clockrate sysctl, but I can't find any info on what those numbers
mean or what I'm supposed to do with them. I've tried looking at the NTP
FAQ, but I can't figure out what I need to look at, and I don't feel
like reading the whole thing (it's kinda big :)

I get the impression that I'm supposed to use tickadj to change tick a
bit... is this the same as the tick in the kern.clockrate sysctl? If so,
how do I change it? There's no tickadj and sysctl says kern.clockrate
isn't changeable. (and I tried sysctl -w kern.clockrate=9999, which
didn't work)