Subject: Re: CD-R with NetBSD-1.3?
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@plutotech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/14/1998 20:55:35
>	The notes I read in the cdrecord man pages and readmes indicate that
>the WORM identity with which older CD-r drives identify themselves is
>completely erronious.  Since the traditional WORM devices are a far cry
>from CD players, we should probably have a separate driver for them.

You shouldn't limit yourself to thinking that there has to be a 1-1 match
between peripheral drivers and SCSI devices.  In the CAM SCSI layer, a
device may be shared between several peripheral drivers.  In fact, this is
quite common.  If you have the "pass through" device configured in your
kernel, it will attach, in addition to the driver you'd expect, to any
device found.  The userland SCSI library uses the pass through driver to
send arbitrary commands to a device.  Although the "worm" driver hasn't
been written yet, I expect that for the devices that support CD type
functionality, both the cd and worm drivers will attach to the device and
use the CAM provided locking facilities to ensure exclusive access when
it is required.

--
Justin