Subject: Re: PKG: ncurses status
To: None <woods@web.net>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/18/1997 22:07:09
According to Greg A. Woods:

>(The only reason I harp on about this is I mostly detest the original
>BSD curses, even with the many improvements added by NetBSD, and I'd
>rather have something better easily available,

Hmmm define better.  There have been some people (myself included -
see lib/3969) that have done some work to improve the curses package.
My aim was to address something that I viewed as sadly deficient in
BSD curses which was the horrible way you were forced to deal with
keyboard input.  Others have been redressing other deficiencies of the
curses package.  From the man pages I have for a SYS V style curses
package most of the functions that are missing in the BSD curses are
layered on top of pre-existing functionality.

> and until a suitable
>arrangement is negotiated to allow ncurses or something even better to
>be integrated directly into the NetBSD source tree, ncurses in pkgsrc is
>by far better than nothing.)

IMHO unless the NetBSD project can get a definitive answer on ncurses
soonish (not being a party to the negotiations make it hard to judge
whether this is reasonable or not) then we should take matters into
our own hands and start working on improving what we have.  The
uncertainty does put a bit of a damper on things since you don't know
if your work is going to get tossed or not.

  What do you get when you cross a cantaloup with a dog?        Melancholy :-P