Subject: Re: serial line speeds...
To: None <dillema@huygens.org>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/1997 00:34:00
>Somewhere in the include files I found 230400 Bps as a standard terminal
>speed, it is however not accepted by stty or pppd. I noticed that the speed
>in termios.h is represented with an unsigned int value. Does this mean max.
>serial speed is 65565 Bps??? If so, I find it a bit strange that 115200 Bps
>is accepted just fine, while 230400 is not... I'm just being curious here.
>Could somebody enlighted me on this topic? I may be a bit naive on these
>things... Would it be a lot of work (and/or generate a lot of problems) to
>switch from integer to long to support the fast serial lines (thinking of
>ISDN-modems attached to serial ports here and such).

I can't answer your question about internal representations of serial
speeds.

However, I can tell you that you won't be able to do anything faster
than 115200 with standard serial ports.  You'll need something that
can either be hardware jumpered for higher clock rates, or that uses a
non-standard chip.

FWIW, the Hayes ESP cards, which also have a 1024-byte FIFO (and
emulate a 16550 otherwise), claim to support up to 8 x 115200.  You do
this by running the DOS config utility and telling it to set a
multiplier anywhere from 1x to 8x.  Of course, 230400 could be
achieved by setting the multiplier to 2x and telling NetBSD the port
was 115200.

I have never tried these higher speeds -- I just know the board claims
to support this.  However, it works great for me at 115200.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.