Subject: Re: Possible (but Evil) work-around for Pentium bug?
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Michael K. Sanders <msanders@aros.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1997 14:06:12
In message <v03110700b08fc1cbd023@[198.68.110.2]>, "Erik E. Fair" writes:
>I got the following today, which hints at a work-around with unacceptable
>performance loss: turning off the L1 cache.

SCO's fix implies that it's possible to fix with a microcode upgrade,
done via software.

>From <URL:ftp://ftp.sco.com/SLS/ptf3343.txt>:

Dear SCO Customer,

The enclosed Support Level Supplement (SLS) PTF3343, the Intel Pentium
Pro and Pentium II Microcode Driver, provides Intel P6 microcode fixes.

Some models and steppings of the Intel Pentium Pro processor and the
Intel Pentium II processor may, in some circumstances, depart from
their specifications.  Some of these issues can be resolved by
updating the microcode of the processor at system startup.  SLS
PTF3343 installs updates from the Intel Corporation to do that.