Subject: Re: Package System Oddness...?
To: None <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de, mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 11/09/1997 21:09:28
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> wrote:
> > Out of curiousity, does BSD.pkg.dist define ${PREFIX}? I can't seem to find
> > where that's initially defined... I guess I'll go snag a copy.
>
> yes it does... it gets set to either /usr/X11R6 or /usr/pkg (the further if
> the port sets USE_IMAKE).

  Well, to pick nits, BSD.pkg.dist doesn't define PREFIX --
it's just an mtree file.  /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk defines
PREFIX to, usually, be LOCALBASE, which on NetBSD machines is
defined to be $DESTDIR/usr/pkg.

  If you want to override the setting (as mentioned in the
original post), just set LOCALBASE in /etc/mk.conf to, say,
/usr/local.  I just tried it out, and it works, but only if you
do the package extract stuff of the source tarball _after_ this
change -- the setting of PREFIX usually gets embedded into the
program's Makefile, so if you've already done a `make' for the
program, only a reconfigure (`make clean; make install' is
probably easiest) will make the package get installed into /usr/local.

  Hope this helps!  The package system works wonderfully for me.

  Brian
--
Brian Grayson (bgrayson@ece.utexas.edu)
Graduate Student, Electrical and Computer Engineering