Subject: Re: N. logo doesn't have to be cute ?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1997 15:04:31
>And who's the master of the demons? ;-)  I don't want my computers being
>possessed by the devil..

I think this is a misunderstanding or a mistranslation.  `demon' != `daemon'.

In English, the word ``daemon'' is derived from a Greek root.  It
means a neutral, helpful spirit.  ``daemon'' does not have malevolent
overtones.  It's become a reasonably well-accepted technical term
for server processes or server agents.

It does not mean the same thing at all as `demon', which does have
malevolent overtones.  In particular, it has nothing *at all* to do
with `the devil'.  `Fairy' or even `angel' might be a closer concept--
like `gravity-governing daemons' or even the famous Maxwell's daemon.

That the traditional `BSD daemon' resembles a demon is (AFAIK) more a
play on words than anything else.  Do you object to that artwork?  Do
*you* think it has overtones that BSD will result in demonic of your
computer, or are you worried that *other* people may see it that way?

That little guy in the sneakers (or are they basketball boots?)  has a
long association with *BSD, and you'd be fighting a long, uphill
battle to stop that.