Subject: Re: ATTENTION: avoid using libc.13
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/1997 19:51:51
woods@kuma.web.net (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> [ On Mon, October 20, 1997 at 17:44:51 (+0200), Frank van der Linden wrote: ]
> > The changes to libc that caused its major number to be bumped to version 13
> > will break too many things just before a release. Hence the changes will
> > be made in another way, which keeps the major number of libc at 12.
>
> Never ever back out library version numbers even if what you're doing is
> removing functionality.  Always go forward.

I think I just got whacked by this.  How does one back out libc.13 ???
I tried hiding libc.13 hoping not too much got infected.  There were a
few programs though...  Recompiling those with libc.12 got me broken
code for my troubles.

	if (fread(buf,bufsize,1,fp) != 1) {
		perror("read");
		return -1;

fp is valid, the file is readable and positioned at byte 0,  Yet
fread returns 0 and perrror is called, with errno 0.

It prints out:
	read: Undefined error: 0

Seems like an include/libc.12 mismatch.

If I "revert" back to libc.13 fread works.  Did something in the
struct FILE change?  I guess I need an old copy of /usr/include to get
out of this mess.

The whole system is designed to make this hard to undo...

-wolfgang