Subject: Re: How-To and history of docs
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Andrew Brown <codewarrior@daemon.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/04/1997 13:35:17
> > I believe that they are part of the original 4.4 lite distribution, and
> > the ones we don't have probably either don't apply to NetBSD or else have
> > licensing restrictions which are unacceptable to the NetBSD Project
> > (however, I suppose you'd have to ask core for the authoritative answer,
> > Jason?)
>
>IIRC, the ones that are missing are ones that were AT&T Proprietary.

i'm a little confused.  aren't these the docs that are published by
o'reilly in their 4.4bsd series?  and if they're at&t proprietary, why
do other bsd's (freebsd, bsdi) have some of them and some other
somewhat different sets?

from looking at the directory structures over time, it looks like they
were there and were later removed, or at least, were never put there
and the empty directories were pruned.  examples of what has
disappeared or what is present on other systems (which confuses me):

psd/12.make
psd/19.curses
smm/07.lpd
smm/08.sendmailop
smm/09.sendmail
usd/04.csh
usd/07.mail
usd/11.edit
usd/12.vi
usd/13.ex
usd/13.viref		all disappeared (were in 1.2, not in -current)

psd/22.rpcgen
psd/23.rpc
psd/24.xdr
psd/25.xdrrfc
psd/26.rpcrfc
psd/27.nfsrfc
smm/10.named		in freebsd-2.2.2, never in netbsd?

usd/11.vitut		in bsd/os-2.1, never in netbsd?

usd/10.exref		in freebsd-2.2.2...
usd/12.exref		in bsd/os-2.1...
			never anywhere in netbsd??

--