Subject: Re: Optimisation flags
To: None <simonb@telstra.com.au>
From: Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/1997 12:37:54
>From: Simon Burge <simonb@telstra.com.au>
>Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 17:15:16 +1000
>
>Is there any reason that the optimisation level for the C compiler
>is set to -O instead of -O2?  I've had a quick look back through the
>mailing list archives, but couldn't find any discussion about this.  I
>have vague memories of some problems with the 68k machines, but that's
>about it...

Probably simple safety.  The additional optimizations enabled by -O2
are not as well-tested as those enabled by -O.

This is easy enough to customize for yourself, either by hacking
/usr/share/mk/*.mk directly or by typing:

# echo "CFLAGS+=-O2" >> /etc/mk.conf

--
Mike Long <mikel@shore.net>                http://www.shore.net/~mikel