Subject: Re: ftp & account expire
To: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 06/06/1997 08:24:24
On Fri, Jun 06, 1997 at 02:07:48AM +0200, Andrew Wheadon wrote:
> > > I'm still not on -current, but I just noticed that ftp doesn't have respect
> > > for the account expire (and password expire?) times in /etc/passwd.  Even
> > > when an account has expired, ftpd will let the user log in.
> > Funny you should mention this:
> > popper doesn't recognize expired accounts, nor does RADIUS, nor much of anything
> > that uses the libraries for interfaces into the passwd database.
>
> Nor does it get supported when using YP since it's not kept in the
> yp-passwd-db. So it's effectively useless for larger environments
> where one would want to use it anyway.

Oh well. :-(  I guess I'm about the only person using the expire function,
then..  but I _am_ using it and I depend on it on several systems.  I think
I can fix ftpd, but I don't know radius or YP (I may have to use radius,
though, and if I do, I want expire to work for it, too!).

How hard it would be to fix this?  I heard the FreeBSD folks are doing
something to fix this..?

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 22:30 EET DST Mon-Fri