Subject: Re: DEC uses NetBSD
To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
From: Rob Deker <deker@digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/20/1997 03:30:19
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Kevin P. Neal wrote:

> Hasn't this been discussed before?
>
> I think the issues were:
> 1) Precompiled ports will be *huge* due to the number of NetBSD platforms, so
>    builds will probably have to be done on the user's machine.
> 2) Nobody could agree on where "stuff" should get installed. Do binaries
>    go in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/PKGNAME/bin, with a link in
> /usr/local/bin? What about the oddball case where somebody wants to do
>    something different*? Who dislikes /opt/BLAHblah/*?
> 3) Many packages have lots of configuration options. How do you select which
>    options should be used? Ease of changing these options? Is a GUI/CUI
>    needed for this?
> 4) Satisfying all of these issues becomes a pain in the arse for the person
>    who creates the package -> fewer packages are created.

I don't think that anybody  disagrees with you that there are lots of issues
at hand in getting this to work. But I think that the point of the matter
remains that it's not a bad idea. I don't think that many of the NetBSD folk
would shy away from a bit of work (hell, that's obvious simply because we
DON'T have somethign like this yet....in a sort of roundabout way...). In
any event, are there any folks that would be willing to take some of this
off-list and discuss it a bit and see if we could iron some of this stuff out?

rob

"Off the keyboard, through the CPU, | deker@digex.net
out the transceiver, down the rj45  | Systems Engineer
line, across the router, through    |
the Hub, out the gateway.           |
        Nothing but net."           |