Subject: tar 'Total bytes written' counter
To: 'current-users@netbsd.org' <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Burns <Scott.Burns@NetConTech.Com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/1997 19:56:55
In backing up a few gig on a NetBSD/i386 V1.1 machine with 'tar -totals =
-czf'. It would appear I am overflowing the 'int' reserved for it.

Total bytes written: -1600978944

I just checked my sup directories for current and it would appear it =
still only uses an 'int'. Could this be changed to use a larger =
variable, or is there some architectural reason for this ? Sorry for not =
using send-pr, I don't have this setup on my system yet.=20

netcontech# grep tot_written *
ChangeLog:      * tar.h (f_totals, tot_written): new variables
buffer.c:    tot_written +=3D blocksize;
buffer.c:    tot_written +=3D blocksize;
tar.c:  fprintf (stderr, "Total bytes written: %d\n", tot_written);
tar.h:TAR_EXTERN int tot_written;       /* Total written to output */

scott burns
scott.burns@netcontech.com