Subject: Re: Share common code/data across ports?
To: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/1997 11:16:25
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:12:30 +0100
 Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se> wrote:

 > Because you may want to access the information by some other means than ps?
 > This is more easily done with a proc-interface than a ps interface.

...and we have libkvm for this.  The procfs interface is useful only
for the running kernel, because it has direct access to the data of
the running kernel... That's the way it ought to be.

What's being suggested here is taking code that belongs in userspace
and putting it into the kernel.  Code to govel namelists and dumps of
different kernels simply doesn't belong in the kernel.