Subject: Re: uugetty for NetBSD
To: None <mouse@Holo.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/29/1996 18:24:22
>Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:11:58 -0500
>From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>

>I know/knew about chsh/chfn/chpass.  I don't like them, but
>chsh/chfn/etc all accept options that allow you to override the
>behavior implied by argv[0] - or at least the ones I've looked at do,
>at/atq/atrm I didn't know about.  If they don't have options to
>override the operation implied by argv[0], then no, I don't like them
>either in this respect.

Another example is gzip, but it also allows the user to override the
behavior implied by argv[0].  "gunzip" is equivalent to "gzip -d", and
"gzcat" is equivalent to "gzip -c" (or "gzip -d -c", I'm not sure).

I agree with der Mouse that adding argv[0]-sensitive behavior to
standard utilities is a bad idea.  Precedent is not an excuse.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>