To: Justin T. Gibbs <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
From: James Graham <greywolf@siva.captech.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/02/1996 15:47:16
"Justin T. Gibbs" sez:
# >The other reason is that he just seems to make sense:  Why would you want
# >your root device striped?  The KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid (in
# >case anyone doesn't know :-))) seems to really apply, here:  the less
# >metadata, the better.  I could see striping /usr, but not the partition
# >from which I boot.  That would just be too hairy.
#
# If I couldn't afford to have my system down *ever* due to media failures,
# I would want to be able to mirror that root drive.

*smeksmeksmek* Hey!  WAKE UP!

	--> mirroring != striping <--

I think _mirroring_ the root drive is a good idea.

I think _striping_ the root drive is suicidal.

Side tangent here: I'm going to assume that by referencing a mirrored
drive you reference a metadevice and not another device at autoconf time;
otherwise your kernel that says

	config netbsd	root on sd0a swap on sd0b

will puke if sd0 dies.

[here again, the "config netbsd swap generic" thing needs to be expanded
 so that any and all devices can be referenced for root/swap devices.]

# Justin T. Gibbs

				--*greywolf;