Subject: Re: Token Ring Drivers for i386
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Onno van der Linden <onno@simplex.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 08/09/1996 09:09:39
Michael Deiulio <MDeIulio@sitaaps.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running NetBSD v1.1 for i386.  I need to know if any token ring
> drivers have been developed since the release of  v1.1.
>
> Does the current version support token ring?
>
> Are there any commercial token ring drivers available which will work
> under NetBSD v1.1 or the current version?

Here's the current state of affairs as I know them:

1. Someone at Proteon made a driver for Token-Ring cards based on the
   TMS380 chipset. Unfortunately he probably can't release it to the
   public because of "concerns over disclosure of proprietary information".

2. I ported the Mach token ring driver (that's the one the linux driver
   is based on) for the IBM Tropic chipset to NetBSD 1.1 a long time ago
   and got it to compile. Never tested it though.
   I'm currently in the process of adapting that driver to the needs of 1.2.
   My current plan is to wait for 1.2 to come out, install it on a machine
   at work and test the driver.

3. To get Token-Ring drivers fully operational, work is needed in the IPv4
   ARP section. Someone else had plans to make it more general. Don't know
   what the current status is.

4. To get Token-Ring drivers to handle "source routing" correctly, additional
   code is needed in the IPv4 ARP section. I think FDDI needs this too,
   so before anyone dives straight into it a "general" solution would be
   most welcome.

Onno van der Linden (onno@simplex.nl)