Subject: Re: ccd and vnd together?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Pete Bentley <pete@demon.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/1996 16:34:39
At Thu, 04 Jul 1996 06:48:50 EDT, der Mouse writes:
>> I suppose then my question becomes, why does ccd care?  I certainly
>> can't see any excuse for it to be poking around with disk labels; it
>> seems to me it should do what it's told with a minimum of fuss.  Why
>> would anyone want a ccd or vnd to have anything to do with disklabels
>> anyway?  Again, I must be missing something; someone must have
>> deliberately made ccd care about disklabels, and I must confess I am
>> completely unable to understand why.

Well, ccd has to at the very least be able to spoof up a disklabel that
decribes the entire concatenated 'drive' so that fsck, mount etc know
what to do with it.  And the simplest way to do that is to calulate
the 'new' dislabel once and store it somewhere on the drive.

At least, that's how I understood it.

Pete.