Subject: Re: Choosing the right PC-box.
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com <eeh@btr.btr.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/05/1996 14:34:17
On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>  wrote:
>  > Rafal Boni said:
>  > >In message <199606041524.IAA11741@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>  > >-> ...I'd avoid the Quantum, and get Fujitsu drives.  I've had no end of
>  > >-> trouble with Quantums and Seagates, and I've _never_ had a problem with a
>  > >-> Fujitsu drive...'Course, this assumes getting SCSI...
>  > >
>  > >	Acutally, I've had the opposite experience... I've had a lot of
>  > >	trouble with Fujitsu SCSI drives and no problems at all with the
>  > >	Quantums (and DEC-repackaged ones Dell used to put in their
>  >
>  > As the owner of 14 operating Quantum drives, with a couple of them
>  > dating back to 1988, I can say I haven't had a problem.
>  >

> Maybe the people with Quantum drives who are not having problems with them
> are the people who never turn them off?  I have a friend, who on recommendation
> from someone else, bought 7 Quantum's (Fireballs and Lightning's) for 7
> machines at his office... Within 9 months, each one of them had failed to
> spin up if powered down... Towards the end, the machines had signs on them
> that said "DO NOT POWER OFF".  Then later, while "someone else" was on an
> extended vacation, there was a power-failure in his house which caused his
> Quantum to spin down and it never spun back up... And I'm thinking "YES!
> There IS a god!"
>
> Myself, I'm a happy Fujitsu owner... But I'm hardly religious about it...

Well, since everyone else is running around praising Fujitsu and damning
Quantum, let me pu in my $0.02.  I have a Quantum 40S that came with my
computer that I have had for over 6 years with no problems what so ever.
I bought a Fujitsu 512MB drive about 4 years ago, a drive that has
recently been suffering from a sticktion problem.  Every time I power my
machine up I need to give it a thump so the Fujitsu spins up.

YMMMV

Eduardo