Subject: Re: DESTDIR vs. beforeinstall - Battle of the Titans
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@ux2.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/28/1996 16:44:20
>Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 23:19:51 -0400
>From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@UX2.SP.CS.CMU.EDU>

>I'd actually like to see /usr/src/include installed with 'cmp's too; i
>lose relatively often to "change a file used by everything, then back
>out the change it was stupid."  However, that's a bit harder, because
>you need to deal with the case where files in /usr/include no longer
>exist in /usr/src/include and should be removed...

I don't see how that's relevant.  I don't think it's a good idea for
src/include/Makefile to remove anything in /usr/include anyway; what
if a system administrator installs optional packages under /usr
instead of /usr/local?

src/include/Makefile should use 'cmp' to check headers before
installing them, because needlessly installing headers is an expensive
proposition: all userland code that uses those headers will be
rebuilt.

I usually manually remove old headers.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>     <URL:http://www.shore.net/~mikel>