Subject: Re: Tcl7.5 and NetBSD-current
To: None <greywolf@captech.com, mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/28/1996 06:25:02
ANSI has never even hinted that long was required to be no more than 32
bits.  Now, there is probably a dearth of integer types, but the problem
is not with ANSI, but with stupid code that assumes long is 32 bits, long
is the same size as int, or something else like that.

If we did the DEC thing and made long be 64 bits, things that use a lot of
longs would be sluggish on 32 bit machines, but we could offer a
completely conforming implementation.  (Modulo gcc not producing a warning
for the occasional constraint, and possibly modulo lazy malloc, if we have
it.)

-s