Subject: Re: Shell Bug? (/bin/sh)
To: David Mazieres <dm@amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu>
From: David Leonard <leonard@dstc.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/23/1996 06:21:59
> > From: "Arne H. Juul" <arnej@pvv.unit.no>
> > Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 00:42:03 +0100
> > Sender: owner-current-users@NetBSD.ORG
> >
> >  > The following snippet of shell seems to have a problem.
> >  > (or rather, the shell has a problem....)
> >
> > I'm reminded of a bug in /bin/sh:
> >
> > chur:~:(502)$ sh
> > $ echo "`"
> >
> > (it hangs).
> > I'd completely forgot about it, I should've send-pr'd it long ago.
>
> No it doesn't, you just have to close the backtick:
>
> $ echo "`"
> no command starts with a newline" -t /tmp`"
> >
> no command starts with a newline: not found
>
> $

Even so, Arne is correct in that there is no feedback (for a tty) to inform
you to do such.  I would have expected a '>' to be displayed to prompt for
the completion of the command.

Many a time I'd run a program, wondering why its had "hung" only to find later
that it was expecting data from stdin.

David Leonard                            Project Officer, DSTC
The University of Queensland             leonard@dstc.edu.au
http://www.dstc.edu.au/WP/staff/david-leonard.html