Subject: Re: xntpd
To: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.hedgehog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/04/1996 00:50:43
Verily did Mike Long write:

>>their hand and do stuff for them.. They're perfectly capable of ftp'ing
>>something and typing 'make' themselves...

> Agreed, but packages save time.  Just because I *can* figure out how
> to build X11R6 from source doesn't mean that I *want* to do so.

>>d) not everyone agrees on where a package needs to be installed. In fact,
>>I remember the discussion and not everyone agreed on the structure of
>>"/usr/local" itself not to mention the group of people who didn't believe
>>in having a "/usr/local".

> Anyone who has religious objections to how a package is organized can
> build and install the thing themselves.

Agreed.  So, for packages, if I'm going to provide them (and be allowed
to provide them), they're going to be /usr/local.  :>

> I have packages for Emacs 19.30 and Ispell 3.1.20 under 1.1/i386
> nearly ready to go, but I moved last week, and it may take a bit for
> me to get up and running again.

I'm not sure what's involved with pkg_add, but if it's as simple as I think,
everything that I've compiled is already set to go.

Just a little reminder, there are -no- files (i.e. "find . -type f") in
my /usr/local/{bin,etc,lib,man} trees, but instead, symlinks back to
/usr/local/install/<app>/{bin,etc,lib,man}.

If someone were to ask me, "May I have your xpm set for NetBSD/i386?",
I'd simply go to /usr/local/install, tar up the directory 'xpm-3.4g', and
give them that.  About 60 seconds of work.  About 120 seconds for emacs or
xemacs, and only longer because they have a couple more files.  ;>
Then the user can either just drop them into /usr/local, or if they
structure things like I do, they can drop it into /usr/local/install and
symlink it back.

Anyway, I guess I need to look a little more into pkg_tools... until then,
I just keep notes available via web.

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Sunnyvale.California.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'