Subject: Re: offer: custom CDROMs of netbsd
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@tiger.teuto.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/1995 11:25:56
David Gilbert wrote:

 Thanks for bringing up this subject.

> I'd like to offer to write people CDROM's of netbsd1.1.  Keep in mind
> that I'm not offering particular expertise in the creation of special
> bootable or whatnot CDs.  Simply put, our company has a CDROM writer
> that I can use after work.  I will make reasonable efforts to make CDs
> bootable --- if my equipment supports it and someone sends me code.

 A question about the "bootability" of the CD-ROM.  How is this supposed to
work, and of which platform are you speaking?  As for all I currently know
is that the Amiga and may be the IBM port is able to boot from CD-ROM.

 I am currently assembling and generating a somewhat commercial version of
a NetBSD 1.1 CD-ROM.  This CD will contain the original NetBSD 1.1
distribution and unpacked and ready-to-use binaries for the Amiga port.
Other versions may follow, but NetBSD is a very small market, where an
issue of more than 3000 CDs is already a small risc.

 The CD is commercial because I wanted a more professional way to
distribute the CD over the world.  I personally won't earn money doing so,
the dealers will of course (and must, otherwise they wont sell).  The CD
will be available about February 1996 and costs about $US 15 (DM 19.90),
maybe less (yet excluding shipping costs of course).

 One of my biggest problem right now is how to deal with the good old
crypt-problem, which for example makes it impossible to re-distribute
(export) the CD from inside the US to outside once the CD is imported
there.  I cannot produce two different versions of the CD, and leaving out
the security stuff is not wise just because of the US and Australien
market, because my CD will be sold mainly in Europe.

 See more on my WWW-page: http://www.teuto.de/~markus (follow the links).

--
Markus Illenseer