Subject: Re: shutdown/wall messages
To: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: This is my bacque pas, this is my faux pas) <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com (>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1995 14:08:02
#define AUTHOR "Chris_G_Demetriou@BALVENIE.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU (Chris G Demetriou)"

/*
 * > > [ rwalling NFS clients on server shutdown ]
 * >
 * > You can use rwall for this application, though our shutdown doesn't do
 * > it automatically. However, you *can* write a script to perform the
 * > task very easily -- the machines mounting your system are easy to find
 * > out...
 *

Most networked shutdowns would get the list of machines mounting
filesystems (probably sort -u'd or at least uniq'd) and then directly
connect to those machines' rwall port.  The rwall never figured in.

The problem is when one or more of the machines is down.  Shutdown
doesn't fork for each connection it does because there might be many
of them, so it hangs around for about a minute per machine, then
gives up and goes on.

The shutdown can be skewed by quite a bit if every single machine who
(purportedly) has something mounted from you happens to be down.  There
needs to be some sort of reasonable timeout (like, say, 5 seconds!)
after which point the rwall kind of gives up.

When a machine gets halted, should the halt() command check for remote
mounts and forcibly umount them?  [I think so, but That's Just Me [TM]]
Ditto reboot (easy, since they're the same source).

Oh, and why doesn't the automounter send out UNmount requests when
it's timed out, so the host machine doesn't think the filesystem is
still mounted...?

Should there perhaps be a -l option to shutdown such that it doesn't
try to net-broadcast (seeing that -n and -r are already taken?).

 * uh, except, where would the script be invoked, in the current scheme?
 *
 * do you have it wrap shutdown?  if so, how do you get periodic
 * warnings to clients (did sun implement that?  i forget), or (if not)
 * how do you get the right-before-shutdown warning?
 *
 * do you have it wrap wall?  what happens if somebody wants to use wall
 * in the normal fashion?
 *
 * etc.
 *
 * I don't see you can get the client warning functionality, without
 * modifying the shutdown sources...  (I also know exactly why you
 * _wouldn't want_ it, but if some people want it, it's not for me to
 * tell them that they're running their machines improperly, and i don't
 * think it should be impossible to do w/o modifying sources...)
 *
 *
 * chris
 *