Subject: Re: apcmon (was Re: UPS hookup)
To: Eric S. Hvozda <hvozda@netcom.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@zen.void.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/15/1995 08:53:05
> On Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:32:32 +1100  "Simon J. Gerraty" wrote:
> > For all those after my APC monitoring scripts...
> > I've just put apcmon.shar.Z up for ftp at
> >
> > 	ftp://ftp.quick.com.au/pub/unix/

BTW, I've now added a README file to that directory.

> Is a special cable need for these?  Will NULL or striaght thru cable work?

As far as I know, a special cable _is_ required.
The APC user manual is full of warnings about using the correct cable.
My UPS came with power-chute bundled so I have the cable.

While waiting for my UPS to arrive, I tried using a normal cable and
an rs232 break out box to see what I could see on one of the UPS's at
work.  I managed to power off the UPS :-)

Page 27 shows pinouts (of sorts) for the DB9 connector, how this
relates to rs232 I'm not sure.  But with the correct cable the host
sees a simple rs232 connection.

My UPS is being monitored by my sun386 as zen didn't have a spare
serial port... so the script works on _anything_ :-)

--sjg