Subject: Re: Trouble with PCI, VGA, 32Mbyte
To: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
From: Andrew Wheadon <andrew@wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/1995 10:32:36
> >Hardware:
> >NCR *810 SCSI controller (Adaptec 2940 later;-)
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> WHY???  What is this incredible lemming-like following of Adaptec?  I
> just don't get it.  Your NCR 810 is cheaper and just as fast.  What is
> the great extra benefit you will get by dumping a bunch of money in
> Adaptec's pockets?
> Is there really something so incredibly better about Adaptec that I'm
> missing?

I run an NCR but lately I had to down the machine and hang the
drives onto an Adaptec-Controller because the

	NCR doesn't scan and remap bad blocks.

If you have a little DOS or even a simple Unix program that
will do it on the NCR then tell me where. (the DOS one will
have to run without any special drivers, or come with them.)
I can also set different speeds on the Adaptec depending on the drive.

Other than those I prefer the NCR since it's simple and fast.
--
The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc host=wipux2.wifo.uni-mannheim.de \ "NetBSD-current mirror"