Subject: (1) getty/login, (2) NFS options
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 08/16/1994 16:55:44
As people who recognize my From:-line will know, I'm running
NetBSD/sparc on a SPARC IPC.  And I've got a couple of questions.

(1) I have been unable to get logins working on /dev/ttya.  I turn it
    on in /etc/ttys, HUP init, and the login prompt shows up fine.
    Then I type a username and RETURN (which echo correctly), and it
    says, instead of the Password: prompt I would expect, @8@@@@9w
    (with no newline after it).  Nothing I type at this point has any
    effect I can discern, until some timeout expires, at which point it
    utters the cryptic string @@@@@@]@@PW@P8@@@(@@@@9\@@^@~ and prints
    another prompt from getty.  I would assume this is a baud-rate
    problem, except that stty insists that the baud rate is the same
    both when getty is reading a username and when login is reading a
    password.  When getty is in control:

speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
	-echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
	-nokerninfo -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel -ignbrk
	-brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd -hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
discard dsusp   eof     eol     eol2    erase   intr    kill    lnext
^O      ^Y      ^D      <undef> <undef> ^?      ^C      ^U      ^V
min     quit    reprint start   status  stop    susp    time    werase
1       ^\      ^R      ^Q      <undef> ^S      ^Z      0       ^W

    and when login is in control, presumably trying to read a password:

speed 9600 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl echoctl
	-echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
	-extproc
iflags: istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
	brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr oxtabs
cflags: cread cs7 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
discard dsusp   eof     eol     eol2    erase   intr    kill    lnext
^O      ^Y      ^D      <undef> <undef> ^?      ^C      ^U      ^V
min     quit    reprint start   status  stop    susp    time    werase
1       ^\      ^R      ^Q      <undef> ^S      ^Z      0       ^W

    Some differences are obvious...but nothing that explains the weird
    gibberish I'm seeing.  Are serial line logins just not working yet
    on the SPARC, or what?  I haven't seen anything else misbehave when
    talking to that serial line.

    /dev/ttyb behaves the same, at least up to the @8@@@@9w point; I
    didn't feel like waiting for the timeout to see if the other string
    was the same.

(2) Under the first SPARC tarballs I fetched, quite a while ago, there
    was an NFS mount option "spongy", which provided hard-mount
    semantics for read and write operations and a few others (readlink,
    I think, for example), and soft-mount semantics for all others.  It
    struck me as an excellent idea...and it seems to have disappeared.
    Is this because the NFS code was replaced with some other code
    (4.4Lite?), or was it actively removed?  I suppose what I'm really
    asking is twofold: (a) are there any plans to add it back, and (b)
    would it be worth my time to look at adding it back myself (that
    is, would such work have a reasonable chance of making it into the
    tree, or would I be wasting the time and effort?).

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu