Subject: Re: Thanks + a question
To: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Rafal Boni <rkb55989@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/1994 22:10:51
In message <9403110310.AA25835@goldman.gnu.ai.mit.edu>, you write:

->
-> c) You can open the device with O_NONBLOCK and set CLOCAL mode.

	Well, this much I did know... I was hoping to solve the problem
	without:

		(1) Changing every app that I need to use to open a
		    com port w/out carrier [ie, tip, getty, whatever
		    else might come in handy... Of course this could
		    potentially make things like shell redirection to
		    the port very messy].  Also, I don't know how mice
		    deal with CD, so potentially Xfree here too...

		(2) Keeping lots of extra processes hanging around just
		    to keep the ports open.

	What I did is just hack in a line that sets the flags of the sc
	structure to COM_SOFTCAR.  What I may do, if Bill's patches don't
	already do it, is put [in/back] the "high bit in minor == SOFTCAR"
	thing.

					Sorry for being sorta vague, and
					thanks for all the hints...
							--rafal

|"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit   |              Rafal Boni |
| 15% of the earth, which is 100% more than they |         r-boni@uiuc.edu |
| have now..." -Cartoon caption in New Yorker    | My opinions, not UIUC's |