Subject: Re: MFS and its uses?
To: Luke Mewburn <lm@rmit.edu.au>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/1994 23:49:27
> I've got a couple of fairly simple questions about MFS. Am I correct
> in believing that it allows you to put /tmp & swap in one partition
> together (similar to how /tmp is on Solaris 2.x) or have I missed the
> mark?

that's not really correct.  basically, what it does is allocate a
large chunk of memory, and use it as a file system.

Yes, it'll eat some of your swap space, but its space doesn't decrease
as your swap usage increases.  it more or less takes a constant
chunk of swap (and memory, depending on access...) and uses it.

> If it does allow you to put /tmp in swap, how do I do it?

umm, on lamp, i think we use a line like:

/dev/sd0b	/tmp	mfs	rw,-size=16384

in /etc/fstab.

cgd