Subject: Continuing make src problems cont.
To: None <current-users@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Tom Crockett <tmc@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/31/1993 14:55:52
I definitely need some help.  I had asked:
> Does anyone have a clue regarding this happy stuff occurring during
> source make?  I first saw this with the tar files from dec 17(16)
> but am still receiving the errors on attempting to make any binary with
> the sources from today (12/29).  I can't make a new make or sed, ld,
> tsort, cc and so on.

and John F. Woods replied:
>> The messages from "ar", I think, are the key:  for some reason, sed started
>> double spacing its output at some point (note to Adrian Hall -- the sed in
>> your binary packs that you put up for ftp (thanks again!!) does the same
>> thing!  Recompiling it from recent sources with your libc.a makes it
>> behave.), and this causes the library build process to fail (blank lines
>> blow out join's mind, causing lorder to fail, causing few if any files to
>> appear in libraries; also, I noticed (perhaps with curdled binaries) that
>> nm seems to be reporting a "C" for data objects in PIC files?).  That was
>> also the root of my "sh" problems, as much of the sh build process depends
>> on sed.

>> Check whether or not sed is misbehaving ( sed < /etc/passwd is a quick and
>> easy test); if it is, try rebuilding it with an old copy of the library.
>> Do NOT install the programs you're building unless you saved a copy of my
>> "My unending woes" message from the day before yesterday so you can recycle
>> it :-).

>> Does anyone know why sed started doublespacing output?  Has it really stopped?

So, I did the only thing I could think of which was to get the NetBSD-0.9
binaries from sun-lamp and extract sed, ar, as, ld, nm, and libc.a from the
base09 file and installed them where apropriate.  I also retrieved the tar_files
from sun-lamp after reading Chris D.'s message about the latest and installed
them.
I set LDSTATIC and NOPIC and tried to make some of the bin programs.
The errors I was getting went away, but now I've got this happening.  This
is from /usr.bin/make but same kind of error happens with cat.
I'm not sure where to go from here.
-Tom

cc -O -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make  -c /usr/src/usr.bin/make/arch.c
arch.c:5:Unknown pseudo-op:  '.type'
arch.c:5:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 95 (_).
*** Error code 1

Stop.